DATES & COST
December 3 - 9, 2023
7 Days / 6 Nights
This tour starts and ends in Munich
$3,380 per person/double occupancy
$1,260 optional single supplement
$380 additional night / per room - optional
Includes all fees and taxes
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- 3 nights in a luxury modern hotel in the center of Munich's Old Town
- 3 nights in a boutique hotel in medieval Rothenburg's Old Town
- Fine dining - traditional German or vegetarian menu: 6 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 5 dinners
- All transportation in Germany in a private, comfortable bus
- Private airport transfers on arrival according to your flight's arrival time (also included for arrivals prior to the tour's start, as part of the hotel's rate)
- Group airport transfer on departure
- Experienced Tour Director and professional local guides, all sightseeing fees and admissions
- All attractions and activities as described in the itinerary
- All restaurants', guides' and drivers' gratuities
Additional/optional costs may include: optional single supplement, optional travel insurance, any required Covid-19 related testing, optional Tour Director's gratuities, meals not included in the itinerary, room service, minibar, laundry, phone calls, and personal expenses.
The tour cost does not include airfare to and from the tour’s location.
Munich's Marienplatz with live Christmas music performances
Wittelsbachs' elegant Residenz Palace in Munich
Nuremberg's Christmas lights and festivities
Albrecht Durer's House in Nuremberg
The medieval jewel Christmas town of Rothenburg
The former Imperial City of Dinkelsbuehl
King Ludwig's Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles
Driving the Romantic Road
Bavarian dancing, alphorn blowing, yodeling and polka at Hofbräuhaus
Medieval quarters splendidly decorated for Christmas
Enjoying hot mulled wine and roasted almonds
The aroma of gingerbread and cinnamon filling the air
Children choirs and rock bands singing Christmas carols
Tour Director: Ingibjörg Jónasdóttir
Germany combines historical and cultural treasures in picturesque towns of cobblestone streets and half-timbered houses with spectacular landscapes of imposing fairytale castles, snow-capped Alps, the meandering Romantic Road and the legendary Black Forest. The beautiful Bavarian cities of Munich, Nuremberg and the dreamy Rothenburg captivate visitors with their rich history, labyrinthine old quarters, medieval market squares and striking cathedrals. In December, they are transformed into a truly unique Christmas wonderland which cannot be duplicated anywhere else.
Germany is where you can really escape the excessive commercialism of the holidays and experience a more authentic and intimate version of Christmas. It is the birthplace of most Christmas traditions, and the Advent season brings with it all of the traditional Christmas festivities, along with the Christmas markets that spring up in squares and streets of German towns. As we enjoy the Christmas celebrations, we'll hum along to the sound of carillon in Munich's Marienplatz and to traditional Christmas carols sung by children choirs, played by brass bands and Alpine blow horns. We'll shop for culinary and cultural treasures beneath a sky of twinkling fairy lights, talk to friendly artisans, breathe in the aroma of roasted chestnuts, gingerbread, cinnamon, almonds and freshly cut pine. We'll enjoy Bavarian roast duck Christmas dinner, delicious mulled wine, baked apples and Christmas pastries. We'll collect hand-made, quality gifts and ornaments in the charming markets of Munich, Nuremberg, Dinkelsbuehl and Rothenburg, as we enjoy the Christmas tradition at its very finest.
During the Christmas Markets tour, we'll experience the best of the German region of Bavaria. We'll marvel at towns sparkling with lights and perfect little villages, we'll meet friendly locals, share wonderful meals and enjoy live performances of traditional Christmas music. We'll visit the Residenz Palace, the English Garden and see the sky-reaching Gothic cathedrals of Munich, the medieval Old Town and the Christmas Museum in Rothenburg, Albrecht Durer's House and the Craftsmen's Courtyard in Nuremberg, and the improbable castles of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.
We'll spend 3 days in the magical city of Munich, staying at a perfectly located luxury hotel. The hotel's location in the medieval Old Town allows for easy individual exploration; then we'll spend 4 days living inside a Christmas tale in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, at an intimate boutique hotel dating back to the 15th century; the transfer between the two cities will be by a private, comfortable bus.
- While in Munich, we will take a private tour of the Residenz Palace and the Old Town, travel to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles in southern Bavaria to learn about the legacy of King Ludwig II, enjoy the ambiance of a medieval beer hall with the seasonal revelry and entertainment of Bavarian dancing, alp horn blowing, yodeling and polka.
- While in Rothenburg, we'll tour the perfectly preserved Middle Ages village and its Christmas Museum, explore the former Imperial city of Dinkelsbuehl in the Wornitz Valley, spend a full day in Nuremberg, where you'll visit Albrecht Durer's House, then have time to enjoy the famous Nuremberg Christmas market.
Throughout the tour, we'll dine a la carte at carefully selected fine restaurants and authentic beer halls.
Click on the image to enlarge the map
WHAT MAKES THIS TOUR SPECIAL
- Accommodations in upscale, perfectly located hotels
- Dining at upscale restaurants, including drinks
- Knowledgeable and passionate private guides
- Experienced, bi-lingual Tour Director
- Carefully designed itinerary, including signature Christmas Market experiences
- Exclusive experiences, not available to larger groups
- A small group of maximum 16 women
- No forced shopping