Women Travel News. Why?
October 15 - 24, 2021
10 Days / 9 Nights
Tour starts in Palermo and ends in Catania
$4,580 per person/ double occupancy
$1,520 optional single supplement
$340 additional pre-tour nights, single or double room (includes airport transfer)
Includes all fees and taxes
Click on the image to enlarge the map
In more ways than one, Sicily is the ultimate Italy. Rich in art, archaeological treasures, history, folklore and breathtaking Mediterranean scenery, the island has been the crossroads between Europe and Africa for centuries. Sicily is warm, golden, and sprinkled with blindingly white Greek temples. This is where Archimedes taught, St. Paul preached and where the omnipresent Mount Etna made history. Over the centuries, the island was colonized by the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, and Normans, before becoming a part of Spain, then the Bourbon Kingdom, and finally Italy. All the conquerors left behind their cultural footprints, which add to the fascination: vestiges of the ancient Greeks and Romans entice in Agrigento and Taormina, the presence of the Normans lingers in Palermo and Monreale, the rock-clinging seaside beauty of Siracusa still lives according to its own rhythm, and the distinctive Byzantine and Arab art mingles with Italian influences. Sicily has an intriguing cuisine, the serene sea, cities with a cosmopolitan vibe, and two volcanoes which define it, and as Goethe said, "to have seen Italy without seeing Sicily is not to have seen Italy at all."
The Secrets of Sicily tour is an exciting journey, introducing the very best of the island. We'll experience the relaxed island lifestyle and sample delicious Sicilian food and wine, while exploring the diverse cultures and landscapes and indulging our senses with visits to authentic restaurants, wineries and even a chocolate factory. From beautifully sited lodgings, we set out on walks among the temples and along spectacular seashores. Our route will follow the Romans, Greeks, Arabs and Normans, all of whom inhabited the area. We'll witness the amazing architecture and the rich history they left behind, taste wines made with grapes grown in volcanic soil of Mount Etna, learn to prepare Sicilian pizza and enjoy cocktails with a Sicilian contessa in her 14th-century palazzo.
- We'll spend 4 nights at a former convent, now an upscale historical hotel in the center of Palermo and 5 nights at a luxury seaside resort in Siracusa.
- We'll tour the Norman Palermo and Monreale, the coastal Erice and the pre-Greek Segesta and their architectural Doric treasures, charming Cefalù in the rugged Madonie Mountains, see the classical Greek architecture in the Valley of the Temples and the stunning Roman mosaics in Piazza Armerina, the ancient Ortygia Island of Siracusa, the gardens of stone in Noto in the Baroque Valley, and the "patch of paradise" of Byzantine Taormina.
- We'll enjoy a wine tour and lunch in a winery, learn to cook traditional Sicilian pizza during a private cooking class, be guests at a Sicilian count's palazzo, explore the rugged Mount Etna, watch chocolate being made according to Aztec recipes and techniques, taste almond cookies, nougats and "street food" and savor a Sicilian lunch at a family-run working farm set amid citrus groves and vineyards.
- Throughout the tour, you will dine in carefully selected gourmet restaurants reflecting the culinary character of Sicily, known for their seafood, olive oil, almonds, pistachios and Marsala wine, while breakfasts will be served at the hotels' restaurants.
- 4 nights at an upscale historical hotel in the center of Palermo
- 5 nights at a luxury seaside resort in Siracusa
- Delicious meals - traditional Sicilian cuisine or vegetarian meals: 9 breakfasts, 8 dinners, 2 lunches, including drinks
- Private airport transfers on arrival and on departure
- All transportation in Sicily in a comfortable private bus
- Professional Sicilian Tour Director and experienced local guides
- All private guided tours, fees and admissions
- Exclusive experiences: a wine tour, a pizza making class, a chocolate making demonstration, cocktails at a palazzo, and Mount Etna safari
- All restaurants', guides' and drivers' gratuities
Additional/optional costs may include: optional single supplement, early hotel check in, optional travel insurance, optional Tour Director's gratuity, meals not in the itinerary, optional activities not in the itinerary, telephone charges, room service, minibar, laundry, personal expenses, etc.
The cost does not include airfare.
- Mix of Arab and Norman architecture in Palermo and Monreale
- Being guests of Contessa Federico at Palazzo Conte Federico
- Erice vineyards and wine tour
- The rugged Madonie region and fishing village of Cefalù
- The evocative sites of classical Greek architecture in the Valley of the Temples
- Unparalleled details of Roman mosaics in Piazza Armerina
- The ancient architecture on the Ortygia Island in the center of Siracusa
- The Baroque Valley with Noto and its gardens of stone
- Chocolate making in Modica
- Pizza making class in Taormina
- Exploring Mount Etna on a volcano safari
|What Makes This Trip Special |
- Carefully designed itinerary, including the signature Sicilian experiences
- Additional exclusive experiences, not available to larger groups
- An experienced, Sicilian Tour Director and private, local guides
- Accommodations in an upscale, perfectly located city hotel in Palermo and at a sea front resort in Siracusa
- Luxurious private bus
- Exquisite meals at restaurants in Palermo and throughout Sicily
- A small group of maximum 16 women
- A private pizza making class and winery lunch
- Mount Etna safari
- No forced shopping